The Playstation 4 is set to release this Friday, November 15 for $400 a pop. One week earlier and one hundred dollars cheaper than the Xbox One ($500 on November 22). Besides being cheaper and releasing earlier than the Xbox One, the new Playstation 4 features are sounding pretty awesome. How they’ll work is a different story, but speculation is always a good time!
It’s set to be a heated holiday between the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One. In the end, it will come down to which system did more to improve the overall gaming experience. So how is the Playstation 4 positioned to do? Here are the 5 coolest new Playstation 4 features that set the system apart from the competition.
The Coolest New Playstation 4 Features
- Charge peripherals while powered down. One of the annoying downsides to rechargeable controllers is that you have to have the system on to give them juice. Not so with the Playstation 4! Even when the system is in standby mode, gamers will be able to attach peripherals to charge. That means there’s no excuse to have dead batteries when your friends come over to game!
- Seamlessly switch between apps. The new Playstation 4 features improve multitasking on the system with the PS Home button. Say you just lost a close one on NBA 2K14 and need to cool your jets before you play again. Queue up a Netflix movie from your dashboard and when you’re ready to get back onto the virtual hardwood, double tap the PS Home button to take you back to the the last app open. In this case, your chance at NBA 2K14 redemption.
- Jump right into gaming with no delay. Gamers who like to squeeze in a quick session before leaving the house will love this new Playstation 4 feature. Instead of waiting for menus to load and games to render, the new Playstation 4 has enough memory that it can pick up a game right where you left it when you turn the system on. Unfortunately, there’s no way to guarantee you’ll turn it off. Time to take a sick day?
- Controller and face tracking improve split screen. Playing split screen with a group of people can quickly become a game of musical chairs. Nobody wants to look across the television at their half of the split screen. The new face and controller tracking for the Playstation 4 will keep gamers in their place. Using this tracking technology, the Playstation 4 will be able to determine where each player is sitting in the room and adjust the split screen accordingly! The next step: adjusting the position of the chips and dip.
- Only the highest definition playback. The Playstation 4 Blu-Ray processor will be an impressive three times faster than the Playstation 3. In addition to the high performance Blu-Ray player, the Playstation 4 will also support 4K/Ultra HD video when it ships. This doesn’t matter much for us peasants yet since we’re all probably still using 720 or 1080 resolution, but 4K is the next wave! And the Playstation 4 is ready to ride.
Are these improved Playstation 4 features enough to get you to buy? Let us know what you think about what’s new with the Playstation 4 in the comments below!